Zermatt – Snow, Beer and a Wedding: Part One

The Matterhorn, Zermatt

This week has been a week of trying new things, of doing things that I would never have dreamed of doing. It’s been a week of saying “why the hell not” and it’s been amazing. I’ve spent time with my wonderful family and met lots of lovely new people.

I’ve walked, tobogganed, stuffed my face, “skied”, chatted and got drunk. I’ve done so much in this last week that I haven’t had a chance to blog but I’ve had my trusty notebook with me which means that pretty much all of this week’s blogs are going to be about my holiday (or at least vaguely related).

Beautiful, snowy Zermatt

Highlights of the week have included skiing lessons, night time tobogganing, fondue, Raclette, sledging with my gorgeous baby cousin (well, second cousin) and of course, the absolutely stunning wedding that drew me to Zermatt in the first place.

I won’t bore you with the details but I set off for my aunty’s house straight after work on Friday. With all of the excitement and drama of packing (which apparently, my family aren’t very good at as I ended up with half of their stuff in my bag) we didn’t sleep on Friday night and set off for the airport in the early hours of Saturday morning. A short flight, almost four hours of Swiss trains and some very expensive wine later and we were finally in Zermatt. Zermatt itself is stunning –  a small town nestled into a valley with the Matterhorn towering above at one end. On the first night, we went out for drinks and I got to catch up with family members I haven’t seen for months and, in some cases, years. It was also a perfect opportunity to meet the rest of the wedding party and get to know new faces. In true Fairhurst style, after we had had drinks, I went out for dinner twice (although, I only ate once!)

Day two consisted mainly of sledging with little Joshie, but I don’t think he was too impressed because he just fell asleep in a very uncomfortable looking slouched position. We had hot chocolate and explored the town with the little guy in tow fast asleep. After two lunches and a nap (there’s a pattern emerging here) it was time for an evening of pre-wedding drinks with the girls and a very odd game of “Who’s in the Bag” – for those of you who have never played this game, go out now, buy it and play it as soon as possible, although not with my mum because she’s terrible at it!

The wedding chapel, Zermatt

Monday was the big day and easily the best day of the trip. The weather and the scenery were absolutely stunning as were the Bride, the Groom and Lucky the dog. The ceremony was lovely, set in a little chapel on the picturesque mountainside and we all did an excellent job of singing with no music which set an angelic, if somewhat northern tone! After the ceremony, we were treated to a drinks reception and a photoshoot with the dog.

Me, my cousin and Lucky the dog, Zermatt

Those guests who were skiing then skied to the next destination whilst the rest of us returned to resort level to catch another train up a different part of the mountain. After a bit of a trek (my Kili training/trip came in handy here), we had a delicious lunch in one of the most beautiful restaurants I’ve ever been to. After lunch we sat outside on the decking in the sunshine drinking coffee and watching the skiers go by. I could actually have sat there all day but there were other plans in place.

Monday was also the first day that I went to a bar on my own. As people left the lunch venue in different groups, we all reached resort level at different times. My mind told me to go home, have a nap and get ready for the evening party but my eyes saw a sign for Gluwein on the way back to my hotel and I didn’t get much further than that. I was joined by a lovely old man who just grinned creepily at me for the next hour or so, so that was nice!

Gluwein, Zermatt

The evening consisted of drinks, games, more drinks, cake, drinks, some dodgy dancing from the happy couple and Jagerbombs! According to my Aunty, Jagerbombs are very tasty and should be sipped rather than downed so that you can fully appreciate the flavour – try that next time someone orders a round of shots at the bar. After the shots and someone managing to sit on the wedding cake, it was clearly time to call it a night. The wedding day was absolutely fantastic and I wish my cousin and cousin-in-law a lifetime of love and happiness together.

The next morning was a bit of a write off but the rest of the week was fantastic so keep an eye out for the next post about the second half of the week.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *