It’s been a while since I did a recipe post (well, let’s face it, it’s been a while since I’ve done any sort of post until this week!) As we’re coming into Autumn/Winter, I thought I’d share one of my favourite soup recipes – tomato and white bean soup. I have to admit that I haven’t made this one since last year but I think it’s time to do it again over the next few weeks.
Serves Four but I usually make extra and freeze some
Prep Time 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time 40 minutes
Calories 206 per portion
1 white onion, diced
2 carrots, chopped
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
2 cups of vegetable stock
1.5 cups of cook cannellini beans
3 cups of baby spinach
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar (you can use a splash of white wine if you like)
3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 garlic cloves, chopped
Salt and Pepper for seasoning
1. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion, season and cook for a few minutes. Add the garlic and carrots and cook for about 8-10 minutes, until the onion and carrots begin to soften.
2. Add the tomatoes to the pad and cook down until they are cooked through and broken down. Then add the balsamic vinegar or wine (personally, I’d rather drink the wine whilst cooking!)
3. Next, add in half of the beans, thyme and vegetable stock. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Pour the soup into a blender, taking care to remove the thyme before blending. Blend to your preferred consistency. I like it to be quite smooth as the other half of the beans get added in at the next step.
5. Transfer the blended soup back into the pan, add the remaining beans and spinach. Simmer over a low heat,stirring occasionally, until the beans are soft and the spinach has wilted.
I hope you enjoy this delicious tomato and white bean soup recipe.