Serves Makes 12 cupcakes
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Calories Who cares?! These are meant to be a treat!
2 earl grey tea bags
Butter (for greasing)
60 ml boiling water
80 ml milk
100 g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
160 g caster sugar
190 g self-raising flour
230 g icing sugar
1½ teaspoons breakfast marmalade
1½ teaspoons orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 180. Brush 12 medium muffin pans with room temperature butter to lightly grease.
2. Empty the tea leaves from the tea bags into a cup and add the boiling water. Set aside for 3 minutes.
3. Stir in the milk and then transfer to a large bowl. Add the butter, eggs, sugar and flour to the tea mixture. Beat the mixture until pale and creamy (it may look slightly curdled).
4. Spoon the mixture evenly into the greased muffin pan. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and set aside for 2-3 minutes to cool.
5. Combine the icing sugar and marmalade in a small bowl. Add enough juice to make a very thick paste. Use a teaspoon dipped in hot water to spread the icing over the tops of the cooled cakes.